Picture


Information

jay. the boy behind the blog. most recent zygote of estelita and florencio. has been around the sun 26 times. likes hip hop, funk & jazz, lonely planet guidebooks, orwell novels, spike lee films, steamed jasmine rice, backpacking, mom's porkchops, peanut butter and banana sandwiches, independent film and music, sunshine and lime jello. has an affinity for jet-black haired asian girls with brown almond eyes and gleaming smiles, german dogs and old skool sneakers. rocks hard and fresh - day and night 'till kingdom come.
PLACEBO IS...all things concerning my 5 'o' clock shadows and daily jaunting. you need this in your life.


Elsewhere...

@youtube.com
@facebook.com
@myspace.com
@friendster.com

Credits

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Creative Commons License

Join My Community at MyBloglog!




Friends

ABSOLUTELY ABS
AYE OH AYE
AMADEO
BERRTO
FRIES'n'GRAVY
GULAMAN LIFE
ITELLAVISION
JUST-THANATOS
ONIGIRIMAN
POSTSECRET
PROSAIC SHADES OF GRAY
RICE BOWL JOURNALS


Archives


Monday, January 22, 2007

"arm me with harmony."
- treach of naughty by nature


i wanna take you back in time when you either rocked a helly hensen sailing jacket, a tommy-hill windbreaker or nautica half-zip fleece. you had a choice between the grant hill filas, a pair of wallabees or some fresh nikes as your hops. there was no eastcoast-westcoast rivalry JUST yet. the beats resonated through your dome-piece and had your rib cage shook. lyricism was an artform and all the kids strived to be supreme SUPREME; hip hop was reaching its peak creatively. cocaine, rims and bitches weren't a gimmick and nobody made records to win the paper chase; shit actually had heart and soul.

it was an era of originality.
the whole culture was golden.

nowadays, hip hop is grey.
it's bland.
there's no flavour.
it's not dynamic and it sucks.

nowadays, kids all look the same; even my friends dress the same (as each other and like me. STOP BITING.). it's retarded.
let that marinate for a minute....
....let that marinate for a minute.

today's masterpiece mondays fills in that void for me and maybe even you. it was a time where i was transitioning from grade 8 in elementary school all the way to grade 11 at goetz. times were crazy. however, whether you thrashed to nirvana, green day and weezer or like me, waved your hands in the air and broke your neck to the likes of biggie, the Wu or the boot camp click, the music, THIS music, was the perfect soundtrack to your life.

without further adieu...i present masterpiece mondays in podcast form c/o funkflex himself (complete with the shouting and scratching that i was just starting to miss).
the golden era of hip hop, fam; because podcasts are my new mixtapes.
buttah.
[funk master flex's "the golden era: 90s mix pt.1]

Labels:



jay d [ 7:57 AM ]

4 Comments:

  • MWAHAHA....I would not dress like James OR Aaron. hahaha or you, so no, I think we all take pride in the fact that we're the only group on the planet that do not dress alike. Not that you guys dress badly (and that I dress like the shiet, cause I really don't), it's just that I like my bland colours. On that one, I'll have to disagree. haha

    Man...I want my old Filas. My orange ones with a high strap. I think Ricky Sanstra had a pair of those too, and I liked them, so I got a pair! And...my Ewings from Next. haha

    By Blogger 1982, at 11:14 AM  

  • wow. i didn't even recall naming you specifically but since you always seem to be hostile, i'll clarify it for the world - rj WAS NOT mentioned in the above post. thank you, dear readers.

    next, i'd have to disagree with you on that disagreement. thanks for dropping by. please come again.

    By Blogger jay d, at 11:33 AM  

  • lol...I hope it didn't sound hostile, cause it wasn't meant to be. I think we've been on the internet too long. I think those caps look like shouting. haha

    Enjoy the day man...and good luck with the stuffff

    By Blogger 1982, at 11:54 AM  

  • I will have to agree.
    Our group for a time looked shockingly the same. (well save for me. I always have long hair)

    I guess RJ forgot to put on his glasses when everyone was busting out the shaved head/really short hair. I come back after hanging out with others to see everyone w/shaved heads.

    Was this a boy band?
    Right gay.

    Yes, there are times we do not dress alike, but other times where folks are just biting styles.
    Skewered.

    btw jay i do enjoy this entry and i still dislike funk flex. (song ruining bastard)
    never had the grant hill filas...just the joe smith nikes but I did drink my Sprite.
    image is nothing, thrist is everything.

    By Blogger colin, at 5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home